Laguna Beach, CA – The 23rd Annual Winter Fantasy, “Enter a Whole New World of Art,” begins Saturday, November 23 at the Sawdust Art Festival and will run over four weekends, including the Friday after Thanksgiving, from 10 am to 6 pm each day:
- November 23, 24
- November 29, 30 & December 1
- December 7, 8
- December 14, 15
Over 170 talented artisans, will create, showcase and sell their original artwork on the Sawdust grounds, which will be transformed into a winter wonderland with thousands of holiday decorations and a freshly built “Towne Square” in the center of the festival. The featured Winter Fantasy artisans handcraft each piece of artwork, creating a truly unique holiday shopping experience for visitors. Art mediums include glass, ceramics, jewelry, clothing, textiles, painting, photography, mixed-media and more.
Supporting the Sawdust Art Festival’s mission of educating the public, artists will create artwork live in front of our guests, in the artists’ booths and at our popular Glassblowing Demonstration Booth. Visitors will also have the opportunity to explore their own creativity and take an art class at the Ceramic Center, Studio One, Children’s Art Spot and also the classrooms of the year-round Sawdust Studio Art Classes.
Special activities for families and kids include pottery wheel throwing in holiday-themed shapes at the Ceramic Center, and many art and craft projects at both the Children’s Art Spot and Studio One.
- Clothespin Elves with Mary Keating – Students can create cute holiday gnomes out of fabric, pipe cleaners, ribbon and clothespins. Ages: 7 to adult; when: Sunday, November 24 at 10:30 am; location: Studio One; Cost: FREE.
- Watercolor Holiday Cards with Linda Velasco – In this class, students will paint their own holiday card with watercolors and salt techniques. Ages: 7 to adult; when: Sunday, December 8 and Sunday, December 15 at 10:30 am; location: Studio One; cost: FREE.
- Holiday Paper Candles with Lupe Blanton – Create amazing paper candles using tissue paper and recycled cardboard tubes. Ages: 7 to adult; when: Sunday, December 8 at 3 pm; location: Studio One; cost: FREE.
- Leather Key Rings and Earrings with Lee Confer – Students will create one-of-a-kind key rings and earrings using leather pieces to give as gifts or as keepsakes! Ages: 7 to adult; when: Saturday, November 30 at 10:30 am and Saturday, December 14 at 4 pm; location: Studio One; cost: FREE.
- Danish Braided Christmas Hearts with Annette Doreng-Stearns – Students will learn how to make a traditional Danish paper heart by cleverly braiding holiday giftwrap. Ages: 7 to adult; when: Saturday, December 7 at 1 am; location: Studio One; cost: FREE.
The 13th Annual Community Tree Lighting Ceremony, a Laguna Beach holiday tradition, will take place opening day on Saturday, November 23 at 5:30 pm when the winners of the community tree and artist booth decorating contest will be announced. Laguna Beach Mayor Pro Tem Elizabeth Pearson will formally light the Community Tree, officiating the 2013 holiday season. To help celebrate the opening event, special guests and community performers including Magic Matt, Balloon Diva, Top of the World Honors Chorus, Festival Singers, Rene’s Puppeteers, â€˜Lil Dickens Carolers, Laguna Youth Recorder Ensemble, Paul Pederson, Graham Robby, Barry â€˜n Pete and the Helpers, and of course, Santa will entertain the crowd. Complimentary holiday cookies and apple cider will be provided during the opening ceremony. Laguna Beach residents are admitted FREE with ID after 3 pm on opening day only.
Don’t miss out on the many photo ops in Towne Square, where you will find Children’s Playhouse, Santa’s House and Sleigh, Reindeer Barn, Community Tree and even falling snow!
Throughout the remainder of the festival, guests can participate in the special community events planned for this winter show, including Toys for Tots every Sunday of the festival. Toys for Tots is a foundation supported by the Marine Corps Reserve with a mission of collecting toys to distribute as Christmas gifts to needy children in the community. Visitors to the 2013 Winter Fantasy can show their support by contributing new unwrapped toys for children, newborn to 17, every Sunday during the festival. Those that donate a toy with a value of $5 or more will receive free one-day admission to the Winter Fantasy that Sunday.
Also, new this year is Sawdust Studio Art Classes’ Winter Glassblowing series offering students two-hour glassblowing classes on the Sawdust grounds from Sunday, November 25 through Sunday, December 29. These Sawdust Studio Art Classes and gift certificates make for great holiday gifts. Class fee is $250 per student per class.
The 23rd Annual Winter Fantasy at the Sawdust Art Festival runs four weekends: November 23, 24, 29, 30, and December 1, 7, 8, 14, 15. Hours are 10 am to 6 pm. Adult admission is $6; $5 for Seniors (65+); $3 for children (6-12); FREE for children (5 & under); and $9 for a Season Pass. The festival is located at the Sawdust Art Festival, 935 Laguna Canyon Road, Laguna Beach, CA 92651. For additional information, please visit www.sawdustartfestival.org or call 949-494-3030.
The Sawdust Art Festival is a non-profit art organization dedicated to educating the public and promoting the art created in Laguna Beach.