August 5 2008
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SAWDUST ARTISTS COMMITTED TO EDUCATING THE COMMUNITY
(Special art classes are taught daily from10:30 a.m. until 9:00 p.m.)
Laguna Beach, Ca – The artisans of the 42nd annual Sawdust Art Festival, with a commitment to interaction and educating the public, have dedicated three permanent booths to teaching art classes from 10:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. daily on the festival grounds.
Mud Hut (Hands-on Throwing) – Also known as the Ceramics Booth, the MudHut offers visitors of all ages a chance to make their own pottery in this hands-on clay throwing. Daytime classes are open daily from 10:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., with evening classes from 7:00 p.m. until 9:00 p.m. taught by Sawdust ceramists Walter Reiss and Bruce Linder on Monday and Thursday evenings. Pottery pieces can be fired for $5 and picked up three weeks later. Children’s Art Spot (Creativity for Children) – Children ages 5 to 8 can createtheir own art and craft at the Art Spot. Daytime projects vary and include: Butterfly Kites, Renaissance Sculptures, Laguna Impressionist Painting, Cezanne Still Life, Mondrian Mazes and Sea Stars. And children can experience cartooning with artist Michael Hallinan on Thursdays from 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Special evening classes being at 7:00 p.m. featuring:
- Polymer Clay Animals with Patti Klingenmeier (Mondays)
- Beginning Watercolor Painting with Lydia Delgado (Tuesdays)
- Creating Color Mandalas with JoEllen Byrnes (Wednesdays)
Sawdust Studio (Unique Media) – Visitors of all ages can create many unique projects at the Sawdust Studio.
Daytime classes are taught by Sawdust artists from 10:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Sunflower in Acrylics with Charleine Guy
- Expressive Gesture with the Great Todolph
- Paper Flowers with Lupe Blanton
- Roses on Canvas with Christie Repasy
- Printmaking with Julita Jones and Sue Linder
- Paper Making with Anne Gunderson and Chris Krach-Bastian
Evening Sawdust Studio classes begin at 7:00 p.m. and feature:
- Hand-painted Lettering with Evelda Loftsgaard (Sundays)
- Acrylic Painting with Jim Stanaland (Mondays)
- Silk Painting with Olivia Batchelder (Tuesdays)
- Mixed Media collage with Suzette Rosenthal (Wednesdays)
Note: Most Sawdust art classes are included with admission, though a small materials fee may apply in some classes. To come experience these creative classes, visit the Sawdust Art Festival
located on 935 Laguna Canyon Road, Laguna Beach, Ca 92651; open daily from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. through August 31. The City provides ample parking in the Act V lot on Laguna Canyon Road for $7 per day with free trolley service to and from the festival grounds.
Admission prices are: Adult $7; Seniors $6 age 65 and up; Children $3 age 6-12 years and Free for children under 5 years of age. A Summer Season Pass is $20 and the Annual Pass is just $25 (unlimited admission to both the Summer and Winter shows). For more information call 949-494-3030 or visit www.SawdustArtFestival.org.
public and promoting the art created in Laguna Beach.
The Sawdust Art Festival thanks our 2008 sponsors Czechvar, Kendall-Jackson
and our Official 2008 Media Sponsor, The Los Angeles Times.