Student LeveL: Advanced Beginner and up. Students should have a basic understanding of how to set up their easel and work with their materials, plus some paint mixing experience. You should also have a knowledge of perspective and a capable drawing ability.
Objective: My workshops are designed for the oil painter who wishes to take their paintings to the next level. if you feel you’ve reached a “plateau” in your work or are having problems with composition, values and simplification, then this workshop can help.
The class will focus on:
- How to organize elements to create a successful composition.
- The construction of a painting: How to build it from the ground up.
- Supporting a focal interest.
- Achieving depth and atmosphere: What works and what doesn’t.
- Simplification: understanding the importance of large masses, finding them and maintaining them.
- The importance of edges: What they are and how they will benefit you.
- Colors and temperatures and how they relate to your values.
- Creating the illusion of 3-d onto your two-dimensional painting surface.
- I believe a painting needs to be built, and i’ll show my approach to achieve this.
What to expect:
I try to give students a solid foundation to build upon and the tools to improve. This is based in the structure of a painting and understanding how to make things read correctly. I’ll show each student what’s working in their own paintings and where the problem spots are. I’ll point out the fundamentals of good design and proper organization of elements. Although, due to the limited amount of instructional time in a workshop, no one will become a master overnight, nor are there magical shortcuts or equipment. Only with hard work and perseverance, will one be able to meet the individual goals as a painter.
- On site demos: My demos cover the entire painting process from concept to completion of a landscape painting. i’ll talk through every step of the process so you will see and understand exactly how i work and think.
- Individual instruction at each student’s easel.
- Group critique at the end plus personal critiques of student’s work brought from home.
- Free goodies for all students.
$295.00 for a 2 day, 12 hour total workshop| List of Materials needed will be emailed after registration.
Please bring copy of receipt printed or on mobile device when you come to class. Thanks.
Dates & Registration