SAWDUST ART FESTIVAL ANNOUNCES
2009 “SPRING INTO ART”
(2009 Spring Into Art workshops are held weekends: March 21 – April 5)
Laguna Beach, CA – The Sawdust Art Festival presents 2009 Spring Into Art, a series of two-dayweekend workshops taught by local professional artists in a wide variety of art media. The hands-on workshops will take place March 21-22, 28-29 and April 4-5 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on the Sawdust Art Festival grounds. Class fees include one-on-one instruction, all materials and supplies, refreshments and a catered lunch. 2009 Spring Into Art workshops include the following courses:
- Acrylic Painting with Susan Wade (March 21-22 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.) – Learn the art of impressionistic landscape painting using a quick and easy “California Contemporary” approach. Beginners and experienced painters are welcome. Students will learn how to loosen up their brushstrokes, simplify their compositions by focusing on vibrant abstract shapes and designs, and understand color mixing and relationships of exciting grays to a full color palette. Students will each complete two clean and bright landscape paintings. $175 class fee includes all materials needed.
- Fabric Collage with Olivia Batchelder (March 21-22 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.) – Learn to embellish fabric with paint, beads, needle felting, stamping and layering. Students will create unique fabric collages using a wide variety of textile materials. Students are welcome to bring in additional textile items from home to include in the fabric collage. $175 class fee includes all materials needed.
- Watercolor Journaling with Joan Corman (March 21-22 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.) – Experience the joy of painting with watercolor in any location. Students will learn how to creatively capture memories with watercolor in a quality cloth-bound journaling book. This workshop will cover brief overview of planning a composition, quick contour sketching, mixing and painting layers of watercolor, “rule of thirds,” “wet on wet” color application, “test or date box” and signature pen details. $175 class fee includes all materials needed.
- Vintage China Mosaic with Ashley Pigden-Hemsley (March 21-22 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.) – Enjoy the creative experience of design and color and learn beginning mosaic art using vintage china. Students will create an individual picture frame using vintage china, ceramics, glass and found objects. $175 class fee includes all materials needed.
- Glass-blowing with Jason McQuaid (March 21-22 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.) – Learn the art of glass-blowing and create blown-glass paperweights and vessels. This hands-on workshop will include one day of creating glass paperweights and one day of creating glass vessels including vases, bowls and cups. All work will be ground on a diamond wheel and polished in Jason’s studio. Students will create and keep two pieces of their finished ground work. $275 class fee includes all materials needed.
- Multi-mixed-media Playtime with Cherril Doty & Suzette Rosenthal (March 28-29 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.) – Explore different forms of self-expression and artistic identity in a positive, supportive, free-flowing setting. This workshop will provide students with the opportunity to use a variety of media including paint, paper, fiber and much more to create an art piece, art journal, artist trading cards or many other exciting possibilities. Students will learn collage techniques, textural substrates and image transfer techniques. $175 class fee includes all materials needed.
- Oil Painting with John Eagle (March 28-29 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.) – Learn step-by-step the art of oil painting using brush on canvas. This workshop will emphasize shapes, dark and light values, and color harmony. Students will create one seascape and one landscape oil painting. $175 class fee includes all materials needed.Acrylic Painting with Charleine Guy (March 28-29 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.) – Learn to compose and paint with acrylics. Beginners and advanced artists are welcome. Students will learn step-bystep how to compose two beautiful acrylic paintings – one “flowers and fruit” subject and one seascape. $175 class fee includes all materials needed.
- Vintage China Mosaic with Ashley Pigden-Hemsley (March 28-29 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.) –see similar class listing above.
- Glass-blowing with Gavin Heath (March 28-29 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.) – Learn how to blow glass and experience the process of turning molten glass into works of art. Students will learn hands-on basic and intermediate skills in glass-blowing, and take home the glass pieces created. $275 class fee includes all materials needed.
- Oil Painting with John Eagle (April 4-5 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.) – see similar class listing above.
- Vintage China Mosaic with Ashley Pigden-Hemsley (April 4-5 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.) – seesimilar class listing above.
- Get Wired with James Koch (April 4-5 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.) – Learn how to draw in the third dimension by exploring the wonderful world of wire sculpture. Students will be taught various techniques of twisting, braiding and bending wire to create both abstract and representational sculpture. Students are encouraged to bring different items to incorporate into their artwork. Inspirational models can include photos, sketches or pictures cut from magazines to be used for reference. $175 class fee includes all materials needed including wire, pliers and wooden blocks for mounting sculptures.
- Intermediate Glass-blowing with Christopher Jeffries (April 4-5 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.) – Learn the basic skills involved in working with glass, including familiarity with studio tools and equipment in the hot shop. This glass-blowing workshop is designed for intermediate student who have experienced our previous glass-blowing workshop. $275 class fee includes all materials needed.
- “Look, Find & Create!” Upcycling Craft Youth Workshop with Carmen Flores-Tanis (April 4 only, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.) – Students between ages 8-14 are welcome to the first ever Spring Into Art youth workshop! Young artists will learn to use found objects, recycled materials and mixed media to create usable art and gifts. This workshop is designed for younger students to create art without parental influence. Various projects include Rock Key Chain, Glass Jar Vase, Soda Can Pinwheel, Recycled Box and Notebook. $75 class fee includes all materials needed (please note: bring your favorite snack; lunch is not included in youth workshop).
- Jewelry with Marla Burns (April 5 only, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.) – Take an introductory class in the design technique of making hand-fabricated jewelry from metal sheet. Students will learn about the American Arts and Crafts Movement and use nature and simple design to explore techniques used in metal fabrications. Students will design and handcraft one piece of jewelry from start to finish. $150 class fee includes all materials needed.
For additional information, please visit www.sawdustartfestival.org or call 949-494-3030. Class space is limited. To sign up for a Spring Into Art weekend workshop, contact Jennifer Tye at 949-497-0515 or email@example.com. All Spring Into Art classes will take place at the Sawdust Art Festival at 935 Laguna Canyon Road, Laguna Beach, CA 92651.
the art created in Laguna Beach.